At the beginning of each semester, and each new class, course outlines are handed out and reviewed. As students, we look these documents over, digest them, take not of important dates, and anticipate the learning experiences our professors have planned for us. However, one of this semester’s most important learning experiences, the Covid-19 pandemic, was not on any course outline. Despite the fact that this disease was causing major problems overseas as far back as December, Canadians would have never imagined what their situation as it related to the spread of the virus might be come mid-March. Now that is where we are, and life as we know it is very different due to the rise of Covid-19 in Canada. This is an unprecedented challenge everyone is dealing with, especially teachers and students. At the time this is being written, classes at Thompson Rivers University have just started to commence online and British Columbia public school classes have been suspended indefinitely. Educators and students at all levels are transitioning into an educational landscape they have never navigated, or even considered in the past.

One of the most interesting aspects of this reality is also one of the most obvious: life must go on, as must teaching and learning. But, how? That is a question that, for many, still needs an answer, but steps are being taken to address it. Nevertheless, as many everyday, minor in-class surprises and challenges are this worldwide pandemic can be looked at as a valuable teaching and learning opportunity. Despite the difference in scale between the aforementioned aspects of teachers’ and students’ realities, both encourage these parties to be prepared for anything, be adaptable, stay positive, and learn. Some of the most rewarding learning experiences are also the most difficult; I realize that this sounds like a cliche but it is an important truth. Keeping this fact in mind encourages educators and students to stay positive in the face of a challenge and ask what learning can come from that adversity. For me and my education, right now the Covid-19 pandemic means learning how to navigate my education from an angle I have not only never participated in before but also actively avoided, online courses. It also means learning of new ways to collaborate with my peers in order to reach common goals. I am confident that the current situation will teach me more in the coming days, weeks, and months; this will be the case for many people. So, as I focus on keeping myself, my family, and my friends healthy, I am also waiting with an open mind for the learning that is coming our way.