Since my grade 12 year in high school I have had a few important educational employment and travel experiences. In grade 12 I had the opportunity to go to Europe, England and France specifically, on a social studies-related trip. There we visited historic sites such as World War I and II battlefields, including the beaches of Normandy. This was an incredible experience I had always wanted to embark on and, now that I have, I will cherish it. Perhaps the most impactful moment of the entire trip was had on Juno Beach, where we got to stand on the shore and consider what had transpired there decades earlier. Many things came to mind in that moment, but what stood out the most was gratitude for the security we enjoy today and the opportunities that gives us to focus on aspects of life we often take for granted, especially education. Though I did not know I would pursue a career as a teacher at that point, I give credit to that experience as a key factor in the decision making process that eventually led me down that path.

The other two experiences that stand out the most are those I have had as an employee with the City of Kamloops. I currently work as a coach for two adapted hockey programs, one for ice hockey and the other for ball hockey. Each of these positions requires me to work with young adults who have cognitive and physical disabilities. In doing so I play an important role in a program that gives these young adults the opportunity to play hockey, have fun, be competitive, and socialize. Equally as important, these programs bring me closer to the community and allow me to form relationships with people I might not have ever known, otherwise. As much as I teach the players how to play hockey and conduct themselves appropriately on and off the ice, they teach me the value of considering different perspectives and needs, allowing me to better myself as a person and an educator. The lessons learned during my time on the ice and court as a coach for these adapted hockey programs will transfer directly over to the way I carry out my work as an educator. In fact, these lessons already have made a difference in how I view inclusive education as a teacher candidate.